Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 18: Guess What??


Our canyon water source. Yum.
(226 to 242 = 16 miles)

Today was a pretty ho-hum sort of day.  We spent the first half in a canyon and the second half climbing out of it.  We roasted, and now we're feezing.  Seems to be the way of things.  Gumby and I are hunkered down on a saddle; Kindergarten Cop is standing guard.  (I'm thrilled we stayed up with him, though sometimes I'm pretty sure he waits for us.)

What I did realize today (and many of you probably already knew this -- however, I may not have) is how much I want this.  All of this.  Every minute of this hike, I have been working towards for the last two years.  This IS a big deal.  I know you know, but I didn't really have a chance to think about it.  This could be a once in a lifetime experience ... and I get to do it right NOW.  Unbelievable.  I am pretty damn excited.  And lucky.  And grateful.  Yes, this did not really strike me until this morning.  No, I don't know what I was thinking the past 3 weeks.

A fire made the canyon extra hot and shadeless.
While we're at it, I also just realized that I'll turn 34 on the trail in 8 days.  Guess what I'll be doing to celebrate?  Hiking the PCT.  :)  I cannot wait.

Gorgeous. Some sort of coral root? Earl?

6 comments:

  1. So glad you are really enjoying this! Some of this is going to really be work, of course, but wait until you get to the Sierras. Timber, but open. You can see for miles. Took me a long time to get use to all the vegetation on the west side of the Cascades and the lack of views while hiking. Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog and am really enjoying it! It was mentioned on the PCT-L list as a good one to read! Hike on Cousins :-) Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon Bit, I would love to be able to post some photos or stories from your walk on www.pcttrailsidereader.com . . . it is our dynamic companion website to The Pacific Crest Trailside Readers. We are trying to encourage the story-telling (through pictures and words and poems) that happens as one walks the PCT. I hope that you will consider sending me something . . . to either hughes@humboldt.edu or pcttrailsidereader@gmail.com

    It sounds like you are having a great hike so far. I section-hiked this year from Idyllwild south to ADZPCTKO and will do another nice section in August. It is part of my 30-year love affair with the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your stuff, ladies. Keep on trekking.

    BTW: the red thing is a Snow Plant. I see them all the time, and finally looked it up. Their all over California and the west.

    Peace out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your journal. I'm a little behind, but spend Sunday morning reading your past posts from March and April. Starting my day with May. Looking forward to following you on your journey north. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete