Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 16: For Love and For Water

(186.2 to Water at 205.6 = 19.4 miles)

Where's Gumby?
Remember the feeling of first falling in love?  When you walk around all day with a secret little grin on your face?  And do a little dance in the grocery store cereal aisle because you are so happy you're about to burst?  Like a kid on Christmas or Calvin with his lucky rocketship underpants.  Well, that was me this morning and this evening.  And neither because of relationship love -- although I had been walking around with that smitten look too before I hit the trail, and it still crosses my face as I hike, deep in thought.

A treat from Kindergarten Cop! Left on a rocky ledge for us.

No, this morning's love affair was with the ridges of the San Jacintos that we ran all morning.  I just couldn't get enough of them.  I was grinning ear to ear and practically running to see what was around the corner.  And I realized that this is how we are when we fall in love.  And so I am in love with the mountains. 

Me, lovin' the mountains.
It was a good morning.  But that ended at mile 190 when the seasonal water supply had no water.  And we were faced with 15 miles of dry-side mountain descent (6000+) on 1.5 liters.  Which we tackled.  And it was brutal.  Painful, long, hot, long, dry, and long.  And I danced a little jig when I saw Kindergarten Cop waiting for us at the faucet.  I am now also in love with water.

Handstands for water AND 205 miles!
And so, a love-filled day on the trail.  Tomorrow we start with 5+ miles of flat.  And I am sure I will be loving that, too.

I am filthy.

2 comments:

  1. Andy and I have been following you on Google Earth
    and Trail Source. There are warnings about dry stretches, especially the desert stretch to the Tehachapis. I lived in that area and know it is dry. This is a very dry year, so you will probably not have very much seasonal water. That means more trail dirt! :-)Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. We certainly learned our lesson, and it will not happen again. We're on to the Mojave now!

    ReplyDelete