Thursday, May 17, 2012

Day 15: Today Brought to You by IDY, LMT, & DC


Eco-art by fellow hikers.
Idyllwild to N. Fork San Jacinto River. 
2.5 on Devils Slide + (186.2 - 179.4) = 2.5 & 6.8

(WARNING:  Voodoo science/medicine described below.)

A shorter day, but we had a morning post office run and repacking session, so we didn't hit the trail until 10:45 this morning.  It was a warm, slow day for Gumby, Kindergarten Cop, and me.  We found an incredible campsite at just the right time and invited KC to stay -- plenty of sites among boulders on the warm side of the mountain.  We're right around 9000 feet tonight.  We'll hit Fuller Ridge and the 200 mile mark tomorrow.

Special thanks for today go to Idyllwild (IDY) for a great stay -- the rest day in town was just what we needed.  And we caught another hitch-free hitch this morning.  Thanks also go to Jim Copenhaver (LMT -- Licensed Massage Therapist) and Dr. John Schmidt (DC -- Doctor of Chiropractic).  Although these two men are not on the trail with me, I would not be in condition to hike today without them.

Sunset from our campsite at 9000'.
See, Gumby and I have both had an ongoing knee issue from the beginning.  And on Saturday, mine flared up with 17 miles of continual steeper ups and downs.  I could barely lift it by the end of the day.  But I've been going to Dr. John for over 4 years, and Jimmy has worked on me for about the same, and between the two of them, I've picked up quite a few tips and tricks to healing my body. 
 
So, yesterday I stretched, massaged every tender point from my hip to my toes, and worked on a few points that those two use when my left hip bothers me.  And then I had Gumby muscle test my left hamstring, and it failed miserably.  I worked on my hamstring, bending and straightening as I pressed my fingers against the muscle and then tried Dr. John's crazy "rewiring" technique by resting my fingers on either side of that bump on the back of your head and breathing until I felt the pulses back there even out ... and wouldn't you know it, after just a few minutes the hamstring tested stronger!

Gumby in our room!
I know.  If you don't ever go to these types of folks, all of this sounds like voodoo science/medicine.  And even if you do go, the muscle testing and rewiring is a little out there.  But desperate times call for desperate measures, and if I have to lay down twice a day to rewire myself and press at my feet until my eyes water in order to hike this trail, then so be it.  I felt pretty dang good today.  So something is working.
 
And so, many thanks, Idyllwild, Jim, and Dr. John for giving me the tools I needed when I've needed them.  I was thinking of you today at 9000+ feet in the San Jacinto Mts.

3 comments:

  1. You sure are starting to see what is "snow country" in southern California. I am impressed you are doing the miles a day you are at these elevations! Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are probably more than a few of us at Jazzercise who would be interested in a demo of voodoo science/medicine! I dropped off some Snickers bars for you and Melissa with Jean last night. She made some noises about checking to make sure none of them were stale (hmmmm....) and hopefully all (most?) of them will reach you guys at some point. Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime! It works! Meanwhile, Dr. John Schmidt in Silverton is a wonderful chiropractor for those who go to chiropractors. But like any doctor, it depends on the personality match. Looking forward to Snickers! We LOVE them.

      Delete