Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 11: DBK Is Now Known As ...


The shady company we're keeping: LT, Shutterbug, and Tim.
From Trail Angel Mike's to a campsite among boulders today.  That's 127 to 144.  So, 17 miles today.  With a 2-hour lunch/break from the heat and in camp and in bed before dark.  It was a pretty good day, I'd say.  No major aches and pains, though we both have some pretty nice blisters to show off.  In case anyone were interested ... in getting that close.  We stink.  Not quite to the eternal smell (which is, of course, sausage), but we're getting there.  Gross.

Hiker Oasis, where I got my name!

Today, we kept up with and kept crossing paths with the men. It is amazing how much of a difference these interactions make in the day.  I was thinking it is a little like the hiking all day is our job, and these men are our coworkers that we catch at breaks.  Makes it seem pretty ordinary, doesn't it?  And it really is a bit like that.  Only we work 10 to 12 hour days at least 6 days a week.  And no one pays us, or cares if we show up to work.  And we can quit any time.  Needless to say, you have to be pretty self-motivated.  Being around a bunch of other self-motivated people helps.  And when you really enjoy their company, it really helps.  I think that's part of why today was such a better day than yesterday.  It really is remarkable, the effect we can have on each other.

More dinner in bed.
Dinner in bed.
This is our Marriott, Mel!


















And so, today we of course talked food at lunch.  We should hit Paradise Cafe tomorrow, and we're very excited about ordering food.  We discussed what we would want (very common topic of conversation among hikers), burgers, chicken, pancakes ... I want eggs and bacon.  Now, I was a vegetarian for nearly 15 years before this trip.  But I decided I would need the protein, so I've been working meat back into my diet these past few months.  And somewhere along the line, I fell in love with bacon.  Well, it turns out that you can only rave about bacon so many times before someone gets an idea.  Oh, yes.  I earned my trail name.  Shutterbug thought on it during his hike between lunch and the Hiker Oasis water cache and announced it then:  Bacon Bit.  I could hardly say no.  It's ridiculous and maybe perfect.  We'll see if it sticks.
Sunset from our room.
Goodnight from our best campsite yet.

Bacon Bit


5 comments:

  1. Bacon Bit - love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! And of course you know that EVERYone at Jazzercise tomorrow night will here about this.... Mother's Day weekend at Silver Falls was just gorgeous. We only saw one owl Friday night 00 [owl eyes] another barred owl 00 and that was after just about everyone else had left. Pays to be a diehard! At the Woodpecker Walk yesterday afternoon, we watched a red-breasted sapsucker drumming on a lightpole and flying around -- but no nest. Then, at just about the planned time for the end of the walk (natur-ally) we saw a female hairy woodpecker. I actually got to see her pop into her nesting cavity! I had no idea these guys are SO tiny! Sort of like roadrunners.... When I saw my first one of those, I truly was stunned. Guess I was expecting something more along the size in the cartoon. I'm going to be taking some chocolate out to Jeanie to give to Dylan to give to Guy (sounds like a triple play, yes?) some time this week. Know that you're in many thoughts and prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good! So the event went well? I'm glad you had a turn out for the owl prowl! It definitely pays to be a diehard. I've still been hearing owls every night here. I love it. How was Steve Shunk? He's such a great guy. A pleasure to be around. Tell Jean to tell Dylan good job for me -- I've only heard good things. :) And thanks for the update and chocolate!

      Delete
  3. Sleep well and have sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And let it be known and in the OPRD records that DBK's nick name is Bacon Bit.

    ~Randi

    ReplyDelete